Federal College of Education Katsina was founded in 1976 by the Federal Government of Nigeria along with other Federal Colleges of Education (then Federal Advance Teachers Colleges) to produce well-qualified non-degree teachers of the Nigeria Certificate in Education Cadre initially to teach in the junior secondary schools in the country.
Since inception, the College operates on two campuses: one at U.P.E Teachers College Dutsinma, 60 Kilometers to the south of Katsina and the other at scattered locations in Katsina town. The Dutsinma campus was for science students while the Katsina campus created for the Arts, Humanities and Vocational Education students. It was then humorously referred to as a “college on wheels” because both teachers and students moved up and down Dutsinma and Katsina almost on all occasions. This arrangement continued until 1981 when the permanent site was considered reasonably developed and all the students and staff from the satellite campuses were moved to the permanent site.
The College was directly funded since inception by the Federal Ministry of Education. It was in January 1990, that the National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE) established through decree No. 3 of January 1989, became the supervisory agency. Since inception up to 1990 the college has been an affiliate of Bayero University, Kano. The college, which commenced operation in 1976 with less than ten (10) academic staff, now has about 251 academic staff and 219 non-academic staff. Also worthy of note is the current student’s strength which is over three thousand (3000).
As at today the College total students’ population stands at 3291 as follows:
a. NCE Regular (1900)
b. NCE Part-Time (270)
c. Degree Programmes (243)
d. P.D.E Programmes (14)
e. Comp. Cert. Programmes (126)
f. Remedial Programmes (160)
g. Pre-NCE (580)